Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Candles

Candle making is surprisingly difficult. I had a dickens of a time getting all that sticky beeswax out of the mold....I froze it, whacked it, used unmolding oil....I had to remelt and start over so many times that in the end I decided that dipping was the way to go.


They turned out lumpy but kind of adorable.

I also had a beeswax candle burst into flame in the oven. I was melting it slowly on a cookie sheet in the wood-stove oven when someone came and loaded up the fire. I came downstairs to see flames shooting out of the oven door. For the first time in my life, as they say in the novels, I knew what fear was. I actually wept from fear as I envisioned a river of flaming wax flowing out of the oven door, over the wooden floor and throughout the wooden house, engulfing us in fiery death. I saw the whole woodstove plummeting through the floor and exploding before I could even throw my children out the upstairs windows.

Of course none of these terrible things happened. A useful fact to remember in case you accidentally set fire to a beeswax candle: it burns up quite fast and more-or-less in one place. The worst thing that happened was I had to clean the oven.

While I was busy incinerating candles, Mr. Mischief took the whole upstairs apart.


Not our finest hour, and I think I'm done with candle making for a while. Till next Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. You are very droll. You make wild mishaps sound so funny. I like this post ALMOST as much as the one where you rather literally painted yourself into a corner (and then had to send food upstairs with a basket).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The state of the bedroom is pretty much what the whole apartment looks like with twins (not that it's that big), until we start racing around in the evening to hopefully tidy things up before Tato gets back from work :)

    ReplyDelete