Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Granny-up Tutorial





How to Granny-up your old tee-shirt.
I have a problem with gaping neck-lines. (Probably from the way I nurse my babies. It's very destructive to tee-shirts.) So here's how I solved the problem. It requires: one old teeshirt; one old granny doily. (I love old granny doilies). A sewing machine helps, but hand-sewing would be almost as quick. Note: I apologize for the grainy photos.


First, lay out your doily and your shirt.















Fold the doily in half and sew along the straight edge.


Next, turn the shirt inside-out and lay the doily on the neckline, wherever you want it to go.

Pin it in place.

Turn the shirt right-side-out, to make sure the doily is where you want it.


Sew along the neckline on the outside, to secure it.

Here it is being snuggled-upon! No more gaping shirt front.

Here it is in another colour (it was only pinned at this point, so it's a bit flopsy.)

14 comments:

  1. I am all for granny-ing things up and I absolutely love this!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! I also love doilies and now have a great reason to indulge next time I see some at the thrift store.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, just stumbled across your blog. Lovely things to see! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness! this is so lovely. I have the same problem with my shirts because of nursing (I mean, I'd rather flash my boobs than show my apres baby belly) and this is just the right fix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Mary that is so darn pretty I hope I make one someday- love it thanks for sharing xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind comments, everyone! Isn't it ridiculously easy? Much better than throwing away a shirt. Although I have to admit, now I have a few gaping doilies...Jersey fabric just seems to never stop stretching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! Will be on the look out for granny doileys at the Op shop now! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this So Very Much! Can I tell you how many shirts I have that are way too loose at the front due to nursing babes, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I have several t-shirts with gaping necklines that show my bra. I'll have to try this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea! I have several shirts that could use this and I saw a whole stack of doilies at my local thrift shop last week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea!! Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey! you have really good sense for utilizing the stuff you have problem with...that is amazing!you are really using your head in a good way...love yah

    ReplyDelete